Issue #56 - Spring 2003
The Island Book of Henricus Martellus. by Rushika February Hage [This paper received honorable mention in the 2002 Ristow Prize Competition for Cartographic History and Map Librarianship.]
James Wilson and the Early American Globe Makers. by Dr. David Jaffee
The 1511 Peter Martyr Map Revisited. by Douglas T. Peck
Wellman Chamberlin, Cartographer. by Eugene M. Scheel
Maps at Mr. Jefferson's University. The Albert and Shirley Small Special Collections Library. by Joel Kovarsky
WMS Harpers Ferry Field Trip to National Park Service Interpretive Design Center. by Steve Vogel
A regular feature in The Portolan, this is a bibliographic listing of articles and books appearing worldwide on antique maps and globes and the history of cartography. By Eric W. Wolf.
BOOK /CD-ROM REVIEWS
Antique Map Price Record CD-ROM (Review by John Greene)
Washington in Maps (Review by Alice C. Hudson)
Mapping the West (Review by Paula Rebert)
Painted Prints: The Revelation of Color (Review by William C. Wooldridge)
1. Washington Map Society Meetings, May-September 2003.
2. Exhibitions and Meetings.
3. 2003 Ristow Prize Competition.
4. Cumming Map Society Oct 2002 meeting in Davidson, NC by Jay Lester
5. IMCoS 22nd Annual Symposium – Cyprus by Bert Johnson
6. Spotlight on the Membership – WMS Members Furno, Nazarewicz, Raphaely
7. Map Site Seeing: Key World Wide Web map sites.