Issue #55 - Winter 2002-2003
Finding the Overseer’s House at George Washington’s Union Farm. by Patrick L. O’Neill
Bringing the Past Forward: Historical Maps on the Internet. by David Rumsey
eBay – a Guide for Map Collectors by Bert Johnson
Truth and Beauty--The Real World of Maps [Maps on Silk]. by Lori Geissenhainer
Visualizing U.S. Geographies: The Statistical Atlas Breakthrough of 1870 and Today’s Opportunities. by Donald C. Dahmann
A regular feature in The Portolan, this is a bibliographic listing of articles and books appearing worldwide on antique maps and globes and the history of cartography. By Eric W. Wolf.
BOOK /CD-ROM REVIEWS
Degrees of Latitude: Mapping Colonial America (Review by Barbara B. McCorkle)
The Hereford Map (Review by Dr. Daniel K. Connolly)
Some Ideas about the Far South Before the Western European Age of Discovery. (Review by Norman Z. Cherkis)
1. Washington Map Society Meetings, January – May 2003.
2. Exhibitions and Meetings.
3. 2003 Ristow Prize Competition.
4. 2002 Ristow Prize Winners Announced.
5. Texas 2002 Cartographic History Spectacular. By Bert Johnson
6. Map Symposium on Colonial America. By Thomas F. Sander
7. 20th ICHC: The New England Conference Takes Shape. By Bert Johnson
8. IMCoS Annual Symposium in Amsterdam 2002. By Thomas F. Sander
9. Spotlight on the Membership – WMS Members Goodrich, Hadsel & Hudson
10. Map Site Seeing: Key World Wide Web map sites.
11. Cartographic Notes. By Thomas F. Sander.