Issue #47 - Spring 2000
Geographic Representations of the Tôkaidô from Edo to Meiji Japan. by Jilly Traganou, Ph. D. This paper received honorable mention in the 1999 Ristow Prize Competition for Cartographic History and Map Librarianship
What’s New About the Vinland Map? by Douglas McNaughton
Acquisition of Cartographic Material from the Viewpoint of an Institutional Collector – The Library of Congress. by James Flatness.
The Feminine Landscape, or Gynocartography: Treating Women Like Dirt. by Dr. Darby Lewes.
The British Library Map Catalogue on CD-ROM (Review by John W. Docktor).
A regular feature in The Portolan, this is a bibliographic listing of articles and books appearing worldwide on antique maps and globes and the history of cartography. By Eric W. Wolf.
1. Washington Map Society Meetings, May – September 2000.
2. Exhibitions and Meetings, Into the Year 2001.
3. New Washington Map Society Membership Chair – Bert Johnson.
4. Ristow Prize Competition 2000.
5. Map Site Seeing, key World Wide Web map sites.
6. Cartographic Notes by Thomas F. Sander.