Issue #45 - Fall 1999
Mapping Imperial Expansion: Colonial Cartography in North America and South Asia. by Lucy Chester. This paper received honorable mention in the 1998 Ristow Prize for Cartographic History and Map Librarianship.
Mapping the New World: Nicolas Sanson's 'Amérique Septentrionale' and French Cartography in the Seventeenth Century. by Jennifer Turnham. This paper received honorable mention in the 1998 Ristow Prize for Cartographic History and Map Librarianship.
A Map Collector Reminisces. by Eric W. Wolf.
A regular feature in The Portolan, this is a bibliographic listing of articles and books appearing worldwide on antique maps and globes and the history of cartography. By Eric W. Wolf.
Who’s Who in the History of Cartography: The International Guide to the Subject (D9) (Review by Hubert O. Johnson).
1. Washington Map Society Meetings, September 1999 - May 2000.
2. Exhibitions and Meetings, Into the Year 2000.
3. 2000 Ristow Prize Competition Announced.
4. Changing Perceptions: Charting Alexandria Exhibition, Alexandria, Virginia.
5. Map Site Seeing, key World Wide Web map sites.
6. Cartographic Notes by Thomas F. Sander.
7. 18th ICHC Athens Meeting by Hubert O. Johnson.
8. The Texas Map Society -- Impressive Meeting, Impressive Group by Hubert O. Johnson.