Issue #44 - Spring 1999
Science, Giants and Gold: Juan de la Cruz Cano y Olmedilla's Mapa Geográfico de America Meridional, by Ken Mitchell. This paper is the winner of the 1998 Ristow Prize for Cartographic History and Map Librarianship.
The National Palette: Painting and Map-Coloring in the Seventeenth-Century Dutch Republic, by Lisa Davis-Allen. This paper received honorable mention in the 1998 Ristow Prize for Cartographic History and Map Librarianship.
The George Washington Map Collection in the Library of Congress, by Edward J. Redmond.
A regular feature in The Portolan, this is a bibliographic listing of articles and books appearing worldwide on antique maps and globes and the history of cartography. By Eric W. Wolf.
1. Washington Map Society Meetings, May 1999 - March 2000.
2. Exhibitions and Meetings, Into the Year 2000.
3. Map Site Seeing, key World Wide Web map sites.
4. Notes from, and Travels with, the Editor.
5. Geography in Washington Between the Civil War and World War I.