Issue #42 - Fall 1998
Juan de la Cosa's Mapping of the Columbus Landfall. by Arne B. Molander.
The History of the United Kingdom Military Survey: 250 Years of Support for the Armed Forces. A summary by Steven J. Vogel of a presentation to the Society by Peter Parkinson.
The Early Mapping of Canada: An Idiosyncratic History. A summary by Steven J. Vogel of a presentation to the Society by Stuart Hughes.
Political Mythology in the John Potts Manuscript Map (1758) Showing Brigadier- General John Forbes's Route to Fort Duquesne. A summary by Steven J. Vogel of a presentation to the Society by James P. Myers, Jr.
A regular feature in The Portolan, this is a bibliographic listing of articles and books appearing worldwide on antique maps and globes and the history of cartography. By Eric W. Wolf.
The Oxford Atlas of Exploration. (Review by Thomas F. Sander)
1. Washington Map Society Meetings, October-December 1998.
2. Exhibitions and Meetings, Fall 1998 - Year 2000.
3. Map Site Seeing, key World Wide Web map sites.
4. Washington Map Society July 1998 Field Trip to Baltimore.
5. Washington Map Society Field Trip to New York City, Nov. 14, 1998
6. Awards/Honors – Henry J. Steward, Susan Gole and Edward H. Dahl.
7. The Maps of Amistad (and Other Films). By Thomas F. Sander.