Issue #20 - Winter 1991
Aesthetics and Traditional Chinese Mapmaking. By Cordell D. K. Yee.
The Conservation and Preservation of Maps. A summary by Marianne.M. Withers of a joint presentation to the Society by Don Cresswell and Heather Wanser.
A World of Names: an Introduction to the Nature and Variety of Placenames. A summary by Donald J. Orth of a presentation to the Society by Dr. Ronald E. Grim.
Center for Mapping, The Ohio State University. A description of the organization by John D. Bossler and Nancy Kaler.
The Mapping of Washington. A description by Richard W. Stephenson of the George Washington University exhibition.
A regular feature in The Portolan, this is a bibliographic listing of articles and books appearing worldwide on antique maps and globes and the history of cartography. By Eric W. Wolf.
1. Washington Map Society Meetings, February - April 1991.
2. Exhibitions, Meetings and Events, February - November 1991.
3. Welcome Pierre L’Enfant. Announcement of Bicentennial Party.
4. Obituaries - Howard E. Welsh and Janet C. Green.
5. Photos of the Mapping America, the Eighth Annual IMCoS International Symposium held October 1990 in Washington, DC and hosted by the Washington Map Society.